Mixed Media Collage Art Project

I’ve been thinking about this project for a while. I have, over the past couple of years, been collecting bits and pieces in a similar style/colour palette, including scraps of fabric I’ve painted, and woven canvas/netting that I picked up while doing my 100 Day Project last year. It was partly inspired by my ‘the’ project, which I finished a few weeks ago and wrote about in a post titled, Concluding Projects. Doing this year’s 100 Day Project really inspired me to get moving with this project and so here is what I have got so far…


I started off by making some small clay pieces that I thought would fit with the feel of the piece I was creating.


My intention was to create 3 separate pieces that would hang together in one frame, so I started off taking each individual piece of fabric and trying difference pieces out with it in an auditioning process.







Once I’d found something I liked, however, when it came to seeing what they would look like framed together, I realised that the frame wasn’t wide enough for the pieces of fabric to lie horizontally, which led me to completely rethink my approach.

I decided I’d create one image, so placed the three, main piece of fabric together, and then used the smaller pieces to interlock them.


All along, during the process, I had thought I would be finishing off the pieces with some stitching, but when I’d arranged this final piece, it became obvious that the piece balanced as it was, and that any stitching might unbalance it.

However, I took a photo of it and printed a few copies off so that I could add pen lines where I thought stitching could go.




I don’t think any of the examples I’ve done so far work, so I will try more out, but I might end up leaving this piece without anything.

I had some other fabric scraps left over which I wanted to make into other smaller piece. I made sure to leave space this time so that I could add stitch. Again, I printed out photos and added lines where stitch could go.











I’m not fully decided in the final piece yet – I haven’t stuck them down – so I will probably let them sit for a while until I’m sure I’m happy with them.

Comments

Popular Posts