Pressing and Printing Paint

This was one of my ‘try it and see how it goes’ ideas. I wanted to experiment with a different way of painting and layering paint. I didn’t really know how it was going to turn out when I started, but by the end I was having so much fun with it. I think what makes it so enjoyable is you don’t really know how to is going to come out and so you can keep adding layers until you find something you like!



I started with a sheet of acetate and put a small amount of acrylic paint on it. I turned it face down onto a sheet of paper and then, using a roller, moved the paint around the paper. Different amounts of pressure can make the paint thinner or thicker, depending on what you want. The thicker the paint, the more texture you will get when you lift the acetate off.

I was also inspired by a tutorial from a few years ago by Jane Davies, called Deli Paper Prints, where she painted onto deli paper and then made a print from that. I did a similar thing, but on acetate. Annoyingly, it worked really well the first time I tried it, but all subsequent times I didn’t get such a clean print.

These are the pictures I made using these techniques. I think a couple could be cropped to make them work a little better as pictures or have some other marks added to them, but generally, I love how these have turned out!










Comments

Popular Posts